Monday, January 8, 2024

Cement Mixing Tubs!! For Ambrotype Trays!!!!

One of the suggestions from my Facebook groups in regards to big trays for wet plate work, were these. cement mixing tubs!! Big plastic tubs, the bigger size only $14.99 Cad the smaller $7.99 CAD.  I got 2 small and 4 large!

I can use the small tugs for up to 14x17 inch plates (11x14 more likely) and the big tubs for 12x20 and 16x20 inch work this coming season. 

I can probably dump my larger and heavier darkroom trays for these cheap, less easy to damage and  fast to handle little units! As a side bonus I should be able to see some of the clear glass imagery on the black plastic.

Note* I am quite happy with these, I think they will be very useful. I will probably get 4 or so more large ones. That way I can keep the large 12x20 and 16x20 wet plate places made this in their individual tubs. I wonder if I can figure a way to cover them for transport?

Note* I am quite happy with these, I think they will be very useful. I will probably get 4 or so more large ones. That way I can keep the large 12x20 and 16x20 wet plate places made this in their individual tubs. I wonder if I can figure a way to cover them for transport?

Note** I picked up an additional 8 large size tubs. Giving me a total of 12 in that size. 1 for fixer, 1 for hypo clear and  the other 10 for washing, holding and possible transport of 12x20 inch and 16x20 inch plates. Maybe too many but in the field I would rather have too many than not enough.

Note*** The transport idea goes like this. I place a non washed plate inside the tub add an 1/2 inch of water and some vegetable glycerine to keep the place moist and tacky. Then I place another tub on top and repeat the process, tub-plate-tub. The key of course is the bottom of  the cover tub  and the top of the storage tub, DO NOT TOUCH. There must be enough space to protect the sensitive collodion emulsion. If I can find that space, my evil plan will succeed.

If this idea works. I can shoot and then store the plate pre-wash, allowing for quicker down times between travel. I can then travel to my sleeping location, take apart the tubs and properly, wash and dry the plates. 

18x30 flat lay down area.
14x21 inch flat lay down area