Friday, January 19, 2024

AMBROTOS KANATA Talk Thoughts from Facebook!

Tonight, after I posted that I was working on my PowerPoint presentation, I got into a little chat on Facebook. Thought I would share.


TS: 3 weeks ain't bad for prep for a talk. If you own the subject, you'll be fine. Make an outline, have "bullet points" that you can refer back to and relate to each other. In October, I gave my first talk in front of a group in 20 years with no prep, a powerpoint I assembled the day before, a little rocky, but ok.

GY: my problem is shutting up. Once I get going on my photography, it is hard to stop. Am working on getting everything down to 45 minutes. An introduction, brief history of my work then the focus of the talk. The cross Canada Ambrotype project, AMBROTOS KANATA, history, process, technique, gear, beauty of wet plate, images and goals. All need to be covered. Will also take props for pi to see. 8x10 camera, holder, silver tank, and finished Ambrotype plates. Lots to fit into 45 minutes. Might need 1 hour.

GY: I have been working on the bullet points in the presenter view of PowerPoint tonight. A few simple words I can see, then launch out telling the story without reading.

GY: I think this will go Ok. My 5th or so time doing an artist talk. When you are speaking about what you love it becomes easy. A story from way back, 2015. For years I worried about giving a eulogy for my father. He asked me to give one years before he passed. Speaking in public was something I feared. Then about two days before the funeral. I thought “Wait a minute. All I got to do is tell everyone what a great father he was and how much I love my dad.” After that it was easy, and it went very well. I just relaxed and spoke from the heart. That is the way it goes with photography. I love it and love the process, the subjects, the joy of creating. Love it all!! Talks are easy. Now it just comes down to saying everything you need to say in the best way possible, a way the most people can enjoy!