Tuesday, September 1, 2020

Wet Plate Holder Boxes?

Been working on an idea I saw one of my wet plate Facebook friends do. He created a box to carry glass ambrotypes in. He found an old LP record box and then used foam core to create slots to place the glass plates in, The boxes are created so that during travel the glass is not broken or the collodion emulsion damaged.

I found a red Coleman cooler last week in the garbage and bought a second style red Colemen cooler at Goodwill for $20 CAD. I am not much of a builder but am trying to rig one up to haul 28 8x10 ambrotypes (or glass negs) and the other to Haul 15 or so 11x14 plates.

The cooler boxes should work well, lighter than one, strong and even insulated to a degree. Hope these boxes work for the smaller plates. I have no idea what I will use to carry the eventually shot 4x5, 16x20, 27x35 and 35x35 inch plates in.

Note* I have never shot 11x14 cameras before but have a cheapo 11x14 camera and have a wet plate holder currently being made for me in the Ukraine.

Note** These things are almost free. I found one box, paid $20 for the second, the foam is scrap, the glue from work, and am building them during my paid night shifts. Sometimes it is good to be a guard :)!

The $20 box being built, 11x14
The free plate holding box, 8x10