Wednesday, September 9, 2020

Almost Ready To Start AMBROTOS KANATA

 from Facebook...

Packed my car full of gear. Gosh there is a lot of stuff you need to take when your doing wet plate in the field. I still need to load the ice fishing tent and all my camera gear and the trunk is filled along with a good portion of the interior of the car. Am really looking to get started on the KANATA project. Even with this 2 year early start it seems this idea had been hovering in my head for a decade. Got to start to try making some damn pictures. Working in wet plate, making ambrotypes and negs will be difficult but loads of fun, especially when I get the trailer going.
 
 
I still need to pick up my glass and cut it tomorrow. Turns out it is way cheaper to get 16x20 sheets of clear glass then cut them down to 4x5 compared to getting the shop to cut them individually. The shop quoted me $5.95 for each 4x5 glass plate (3mm thick) and $13.33 each 16x20 glass plate (3mm thick). I ordered 10-16x20s and can get 16 4x5 out of a sheet of glass if I cut it correctly. I will cut some down some glass to 4x5 and 8x10 and use others in my 16x20 Chamonix camera. I want to get out and make pictures tomorrow but it might not be till Friday.
 
 
There does not seem to be enough time in the day to get everything done. I worked about 6 hours answering my second set of questions from Analog Forever Photography Magazine, think there are like 40 questions total, something like that. When I do these things I like to take my time and give the best answers I can, after that I never read them again, my copies or the magazines/websites. It makes me squirm to read myself pontificating, I try to avoid that. Still need to polish the answers up (another 2 hours?) and also will need to make high res scans for the mags, assuming I can find the negatives.
Figuring out which cameras to take with me as well. Am thinking I do not want to expose my Linhof 4x5 to silver, so might use a Toyo or a Wista camera. Will play with them and pack them tonight.
 
 
Ordered a Rock-N-Roller R18 cart to help haul the gear in the field but am still on waiting on its arrival.