Thursday, September 10, 2020

Cut Glass For The First Time

 from Facebook...

Cut glass for the first time today, it went well. My biggest problem was cutting glass a bit too big, glass that would not fit in the holder. I worked it out in the end thou. I had to re cut small sections of glass off some of the edges, so that lead to some rough edges and a few pieces of glass that are smaller. I got 32-4x5ish plates to work with from 2-16x20 sheets of 3mm glass. I will also try doing a 16x20 ambrotype before the weather changes in October, that should be fun. Sort of a year end event.
 
 
Anybody ever scratch their names or photo titles into the collodion emulsions? What tool works best for that? Want to give that a try. I will have to write backwards on the clear glass so it it is oriented properly after the asphaltum is applied.