Saturday, September 12, 2020

The First Day Of Ambrotos Kanata

 from Facebook...

The day 1 at Elk Island National Park for the KANATA project went pretty well.. I only got 2 hours sleep but pushed myself to get out there and glad I did. The initial 3 or 4 plates were overexposed (I think) so I kept lowering the exposure until I hit what felt like under exposure (I think), then I went back up a bit. Hope the plates are OK , I am still not used to making ambrotypes as I did mostly tintypes in the backyard while practising. We will see what these look like once the asphaltum is added later. 
 

I shot about 5 set ups over a 6 or so hour shooting time. Had the parks people on me 4 times including the park warden show up asking questions. They were freaking out a bit at the red fishing tent. Eventually person 4 radioed the rest of the staff to leave me alone. They were all polite and friendly but it was still rather annoying.
 
 
I found another location I want to try tomorrow, so will return and try and make more plates. Lots of firsts today, first time doing 4x5 glass, first time with the tent in a field, first time out of the backyard, first time using glycerine. Took Poe Boy and Quinn Quick Clear collodion but made all my plates with the Toyo and a modern 75mm lens and Gerry Collodion. Had multiple lens and the Graflex and Speed Graphic but did not use them. I wanted to simplify as much as I could today. The other gear, chemicals and a second silver bath were there if things went wrong, nothing did, seemed pretty straightforward, thou I was tired all day.
The highlight of the day was seeing that first set up ambrotype with proper exposure, BEAUTIFUL and EXCITING. Had a photo high there!! Might have got that moment on video. Another first today was using the GoPro head mounted camera. 
 
 
I brought 10 4x5 plates home, some are different exposures of the same setup.
 
 
Now to bed, am exhausted!
 
 
Update* Forgot to mention a highlight. On my first day, minutes after I set up the tent to start my 15 year KANATA project. I high stepped into KANATA with a stinky squish! I managed to step on a Elk Pie. So the rest of the day I had a beautiful odour competing with the collodion. See the last photo, Hope this is not an omen!