Wednesday, July 11, 2018

Quote: My Mother

Mom is suffering from the initial stages of dementia. What my mother is going through is more difficult than what dad faced with his pancreatic cancer. With dad his body gave up but his mind, memory and intelligence was there till the end. Moms body is quite strong, she eats and sleeps well but her mind is leaving her, she has almost no short term memory now and suffers from extreme anxiety and restlessness. She constantly paces and moves about and grabs in desperation at anything she thinks can help her. There are constant requests for medicines and even after she has pills within a minute she does remember taking them.

This is so hard because there is nothing I can do and nothing she can do to get her short term memories back, her long term memories will probably eventually go as well. She is so frightened and confused, she deserves better than this and I cannot help her, I can not save her.

This quote is from a phone call this morning, she said it with such anxious, and an overwhelming sadness in her voice, she broke down and was crying after.

"Gerald!............ I can't remember!"