Monday, September 21, 2015

Show Day

September 19
Today was one of the best days of my life. I got to talk about dad and the people of the dump all day. I did 2 shifts one from around 1030am till around 200pm the next was from around 315 to about 815pm. I would guess that over 70 people came through, maybe as many as 100. I tried to talk to everyone but missed some. It was a truly great day. I got to meet some amazing people and had some rather deep and very personal conversations with at least 5 of them, maybe more. I told the stories about dad and his life, about our relationship and spoke about his illness. In some ways it was like my father did not die, that he was still alive through the work and my memories of him. I got to share the stories of the families of the dump. Told the story of the bride, the first meeting with Doo-Aye over and over again. I talked and talked till I could not talk any more, then I talked some more! 

Lots of compliments, lots of shared experiences, especially about the loss of a loved one to cancer. A truly amazing day, too much to put into a single blog entry. I need to let things percolate for a while and see where they lead. My head is filled with too many thoughts from too many people, it is hard to organize it all or imagine what effect it will on my future work and me as a peson. 

Tomorrow its off to Calgary for a few hours before heading back to Edmonton and my security nightshift. A truly amazing week this has been, filled with great people, great conversations, great food and art. Loved every minute of it! To anyone thinking of visiting Rosebud, I highly recommend it. I hope when you visit your time here will be as powerful, personal and important to you as mine has been to me.

Thank you Rosebud.