Monday, September 21, 2015

Rosebud Week

Rosebud week was from September 15 to September 20

Well am laying back in my camper van after a very long day. Getting up early was actually rather late 9am. After about 3 or more hours of packing and the like in Edmonton was behind the van and I was speeding down highway 21 to Rosebud Alberta. After a nice drive through the Alberta countryside I arrived in Rosebud around 330pm. 

Valerie the curator of the Akokiniskway Gallery was waiting at the door. We hung the show in about 2 hours. There are 8 photos from “My Fathers Last Days” on one long wall and 13 photos from “Families of the Dump” on the other side of the gallery. A total of 20 prints plus the two artist statements (the same ones I used at the Exposure film festival). I am quite happy with the way the show looks. 

The gallery and Rosebud are both smaller venues but boy does this place have heart. It has a striving art community that the residents are rightfully proud of. Rosebud is a beautiful little community in the heart of Alberta farming. I was told that in the past farming was number 1 in the area but now most of the towns income comes as a result of the dinner theatre and shows produced there. The gallery I am showing at arranges its exhibitions alongside newly opened theatre shows at the Rosebud Opera house. I was very impressed how beautiful Rosebud was on my first drive into town, down the highway into the valley, next to the Mercantile shop along the Rosebud river, and there was the Gallery .

Here are some photos of the van outside the gallery. I will post pictures of the actual exhibition layout later on. Tomorrow I am off to Banff, then into the Banff National park for 2 nights. On Friday it’s back for a complimentary show and dinner (artist fee) followed by a day in the gallery talking to visitors on Saturday. Sunday I will spend some time in Calgary before returning to Edmonton on Sunday night, and working my regular security shift Monday.