Saturday, September 26, 2015

5x7 Trip Photo Tests

Here are a couple of scans from a few of my set ups last week in the mountains. I wanted to work on my 5x7 camera technique so I could shoot more efficiently in Asia, here are the results.

5x7 Linhof, 120mm lens, 1 second at f32.5, yellow filter, normal dev
5x7 Linhof, 120mm lens, 6 seconds f45.5, yellow filter. +1 dev
Landscape photography is difficult. I find it refreshing and fun to do but the results always seem trite and common place to me. I gave these 2 negs normal and normal +1 development and used a yellow filter to lighten the leaves of the yellow leaved trees.

The negs turned out quite nice with good shadow detail and overall contrast. These were shot on quiet almost windless days which helped with the long exposures. Composition-ally I find these photos a confused, busy, a bit jumbled, lacking a strong focus-subject point. Still overall a good technical attempt. I will continue to work with the camera next week when I go the mountains for a second and last time this year. I need to use my wide angle 120mm to better effect. When I am in Asia I need to compose more strongly with this wonderful lens.