Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Canham 12x20

This is the camera I am strongly thinking of buying in the future. It is a Canham 12x20 (around $8800 USD). The really cool thing about the 12x20 is that it can be converted into a 8x20 (a more panoramic look) with a reducer back and a 11x14 with conversion kit. So there is the potential of 3 widely different ULF formats with 1 camera. I could use the 12x20 (maybe the 8x20) for environmental landscapes. The 11x14 could be a studio portrait camera, or even a portrait camera in the field. Kenro Izu uses his 14x17 to do portraits, so it is possible to do portraits with longer lens and ULF cameras in available light.

I would also need to get a Ries tripod and head and holders, film plus lens. The modern lens I could immediately use with the camera include the Nikon 450mm, the Schneider 210mm XL, 600C Fuji. I would also be able to use my existing Nikon 360mm and Fugitive 250mm with the 11x14 version of the camera. Film can be ordered ($13000 USD combined with others order) in bulk with some effort through Keith Canham. The Kodak films that he can order include Tri-X, T-Max 100, T-Max 400, Portra 160, Portra 400 and Ektar 100 (in all sizes). I believe you can also get special order Ilford's HP5 once a year. I would be most interested in Tri-x and HP5, thou I could also use the T-Max 100 and 400. To haul of this around I would need to build some kind of cart system.

This would be a major investment of probably more than $20 000 CAD so lots and lots of thought needed. It is fun to dream thou. I would love to use the camera to photograph in the difficult places, like in the slums of Asia, the garbage dumps, and in general the city environments of the poor and forgotten. Then I could contact print up the negs (Platinum?) and slam that imagery into the faces of the Western viewer at exhibitions-books. Make everyone, see every thing up close and very personal, really drive home the living conditions of the poor in Asia. Show the smug protected Westerner how really difficult and different the lives of those living in the slums of Asia are.
K-B-Canham-Cameras-Inc-Facebook Page
K-B-Canham-Cameras-Inc-Webpage


Keith with the Canham 12x20 he built for a customer