Friday, April 18, 2014

Website Thoughts

I have been simplifying my webpage in this latest rebuild. Instead of having many many NEXT page links I am just putting everything on one page, the more photos I want to show the longer the page. I am doing 5 photos across and as many down as are needed, the viewer will just have to scroll down. The whole thing works like one big long contact sheet. This way I can have many photos on one page (100?) as I want and make it an easier surfing experience for the viewer. They will just have to scroll, point and click to see a larger pic, then to go back to the previous page click again.

One of my pet peeves when visiting photographer-photography sites is how damn difficult it can be to see the actual photographs. Your always waiting for this fancy page thingy to load and that difficult to see and surf photograph gallery page to open, its can be really frustrating. Its a real pain in the ass sometimes just to look at the photographers photographs. The goal of this page is to, show as many photos as possible, as easily as possible. I want a page that anyone can visit and straight away see a ton of images, if they like them they stay if they don't they can quickly leave. I want an easy to use user friendly page that just so photographs in a simple straight forward manner.

I also need to page to be easy to update and change off, something I have not done any of over the last several years. I need something I can go into in an hour and upload 10 or 15 new photos easily and efficiently all by myself! If I can do that, then my page will never get hopelessly out of date, after every trip I can simply update it.

Heres hoping things work out, after 20 or 30 hours of work I am about 10% into the page, hopefully it will go a bit faster from here on in. My one worry is getting all the photos scanned and up to a certain standard, that will take forever. I just need to keep trudging away, day by day doing a little here and a little there, eventually it will be done.

If I can get this done properly it will help with future submissions, future workshops and future picture use requests like the one I got from the Texas University student a few days ago. Showing the work properly online is a win all the way around.

Update* I have 2 galleries on the website redesign completed, "Thai Sex Worker 2009" and "Families of the Dump". I will be adjusting and adding to these 2 galleries later but for now I am finished with them, time to move on to completing the other 10 galleries. I also need to work on the CV, contact and history of the photograph pages. I am making steady progress on completing this major redesign project. I want to have everything completed and online before my next major trip to Asia possibly a 5 or 7 week trip in late 2014.