Friday, April 11, 2014

Todays Film Development And Tomorrows Cameras

I developed another 3 batches of film today, mostly 8x10 and a few 5x7. All the film developed was from my photo session with my father on the 9th. A few of the negs look a bit soft but most are good, I shot everything at F32 with a 300mm lens on the Deardorff (the camera dad bought me) and a 120mm and 210mm with the 5x7 Linhof. I plan on taking my 5x7 with me next trip to Asia to photograph in the dump, where I hope to shoot 100 or so portraits. The Deardorff is my camera of the future in Thailand, I will start shooting that in a few years as well as soon as I figure out some kind of big wheeled cart system to transport everything.

Large format negs are a joy to work with. I have a ton of 4x5, 5x7 and 8x10 Tri-x to shoot over the next few years, I hope I can tell some important stories of some important people with these tools, especially the Deardorff which will be a a tribute to dad.