Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Nobuyoshi Araki And Me?

I found this link today on several Japanese websites, not sure what it is all about but since I have always been a huge fan of Mr. Araki and my pseudonym lies beside his name in this mystery story I thought I would post the link. The English translations of this page make no sense. Being included in the same story as the great Nobuyoshi Araki even if it's just a mistake or some kind of weird internet typo is still pretty darn cool.. Next time they need to put my fake name first! :))

http://www.inmediahk.net/node/102191

Just thought of something, Nobuyoshi Araki has literally hundreds of photo books to his name. If I could just get one quality book published in my life time I would be happy. Producing one book that I could dedicate to my father would be a dream come true and would allow me to fulfill my vow.

Update* I just found out the above link is Chinese not Japanese (I should have known better). I am going to get the article translated and post it on the blog in the coming day. The way I understand it, the story was written by a fairy famous Chinese journalist, photographer and movie maker. In the part of the article with Noboyushi Araki and Gerry Yaum mentioned there is a comparison of styles between my work (sex worker photos) and Araki's, how we shoot people in a different ways. I guess the work I did is considered more honest to the true emotions of the people and less sensulized.

I guess they translated my fake name Yaum into Chinese and it sounds pretty funny, it's kind of cool and a bit weird how this non person Mr. Gerry Yaum is developing his own identity. Maybe more people know Gerry Yaum now than the real me.

Pretty cool again to be in the same story as Araki and to have my work directly compaared to and talked about with such a great artist. Gosh I would love to meet Noyoubuish Araki someday, the compassionate loving work he did of his wife who died of cancer many years ago is especiallty powerful and moving, my favourite Araki photos.

Here are a few photos from the book Araki did on his lovely wife:


Yoko by Nobuyoshi Araki 1989-90