Friday, April 25, 2014

Possible Gear Bag For Thai

To distract myself I have been thinking of possible gear combinations I can take to Thailand this coming trip. I have a 7 week trip scheduled for later this year, not sure if it will be a go or not but I was asked to turn in my vacation request, so I did.

Here is what I might take:

5x7 Linhof Camera
120mm Lens
210mm Lens
Pentax Spot
Manfrotto Tripod Head
Gizto Carbon Fibre Tripod
15 5x7 Film Holders
Large Harrison Changing Tent
Reflector

3 Leica M6 Camera Bodies
35mm F1.4 Lens
21mm F2.8 Lens
28mm F2 Lens

Fuji 6x7 Camera Body with 90mm Lens
Portable Flash

250 sheets of 5x7 Tri-x ("Families of the Dump" portrait work)
150 rolls of 35mm Tri-x ("Families of the Dump" and other projects)
50 rolls of 120 Tri-x (new "Sex Worker" portrait series photography)

This would be a ton to carry and I would be doing without my Leica R6 and 60mm lens which I like very much. I would also be taking 2 view camera lens in this set up, not sure I should do that. I think I can use the 210mm to do head shots in the dump similar to the" Burmese Man" photo posted earlier, so I might take it with me to do a series of heads. The film estimations are sheer guesses, that will probably change up. I can only carry so much weight in my carry on baggage and I want to take the Leica's with me in carry on as well so I might have to cut something, maybe one of the Leica M6 bodies. One good thing about the Fuji is that its quite light (prefer taking a blad but its heavy), I want to see how sharp the lens is before making my decision. I am temped to shoot the new sex worker series (if I decide to do it) with just the Leicas but I think a larger format and flash might be needed based on past shooting experiences.

This is all very fluid, I might be trying to do to much again with only a 7 week trip, that's one hell of a lot of film to shoot.

Update* I had an equipment failure today with the Fuji 6x7. I cannot afford faulty equipment when I am making pics in Asia. I thinks its probably better to go with a Hasselblad body and lens. I know with the blads I will get the best lens possible and that the cameras are very well built and reliable. There is also a zen like quality to the 6x6 neg. I think I will probably go with the blad if I take medium format to Thai.

Its better to use the best film cameras in the world if you own them, why screw with a inferior tool? If your going to make good photos or lousy photos best to do it with the sweetest cameras ever made, Hasselblad, Leica and Linhoff.