Saturday, April 26, 2014

Bargirl 2014 Series?

I have been thinking all night about a possible way to continue to shoot the sex worker photographs in Asia this year. The square format of the blad keeps running through my mind. How to compose square? What works? What will make a statement? What will communicate the message best? The current thought is a square format show, a book (hoping) and stark black and white portraits. I could do head shots with lots of shadows or flat light dramatic ring flash shots of my subjects. The idea would to do a series called BARGIRL (same title as 1999) but this time to concentrate on the faces of my subject. I could shoot 20 - 30 workers this trip then continue the photos on subsequent trips if the images are progressing as I hope. I would also try to do a little biography of each person, where they work, how long, age, family life info etc. The idea would be to humanize my subject as much as I can, to make them the sister of every person who views the show or looks at the book. I could find my subjects in a variety of venues, freelancers, gogo bars, massage parlours, beer bars, bj bars etc.

The photographs if good enough would give a voice to the voiceless. I am starting to feel inspired, this might happen. I could give 2 weeks to this project out of my 7, my main goal would still be the 5x7 work at the dump, at least 3 weeks maybe more of shooting there.

Later on in life when I have more time I could also make darkroom tintype series from these negs. Lots of options, lots of possibilities. "Ain't Photography Grand!"