Thursday, January 19, 2012

Working On A Grant Submission

I am working on a grant submission for the "Alberta Foundation For The Arts" program that helps artists produce new work. I will request the maximum of $15000 to help cover costs for a 4 month trip to Thailand to make portraits in Issan province "Issan Portraits". I would use the money to cover transportation, housing, food, film (4000 sheets of 4x5) plus processing, printing costs etc.

I am not sure it is possible for me (unknown minor photographer) to get an important grant like this, the only other grant I have gotten is the travel grant I recently received for $750 from the Edmonton Arts Council. Even if I do not get it, its worth trying, anything ethical that will help me make pictures, I will try to do! If I fail I will try again and again.

Hopefully the importance of the photographs, the quality of the work, and my commitment to it will sway the grant jury folks.