Friday, September 9, 2011

Strange but Blessed

Strange to be in this world again, a few days ago I was working nights security in Edmonton and today what am I doing? Standing outside a Muay Thai boxing ring in a Bangkok slum photographing boxers. I am meeting people who have trained their whole lives as boxers, and meeting young boys who dedicate themselves to the sport.

This world is so different than when I photographed the young monk in Chiang Kong or the ladyboy in Pattaya, what a diverse and splendid culture Thailand has. I am so lucky to be able to come to places like this and meet people like I met today, I feel blessed.

I so want to make good portraits, portraits that show the heart of the person. I have to live up to my responsibility to the people I photograph, I have to make important pictures, pictures that will last.