Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Rats!

So there I am having my last meal of the day in my favorite restaurant. Everyday I go to a restaurant on a street near my room that serves Issan style (Issan is the Northeast province in Thailand) foods. Everyday I try a brand new dish I have never eaten before, I can read Thai well enough plus they have pictures so I have a pretty good idea what I will get. Today I ordered a new kind of som tom along with rice, sticky rice, water and fried chicken wings. The meal was good I was enjoying it and was about 1/2 way through when I look to my left and see a rat the size of a small cat be herded out of the open air restaurant by one of the staff with a long metal stick. Now I have seen rats in Thailand before many times and even seen rats in restaurants but this rat was huge, dirty and had some kind of anal related issues/problem! It kind of put me off my feed a bit but the Thais were joking about it, I guess I am not quite at that Thai level of comfort yet with some of the less savory things, am still a farang at heart.