Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Back Making Photos At The Gym

Arrived late at the gym today but still managed to get all my film shot about 50 sheets of 4x5 film. I hope this flash photography works out, its the only way I can shoot the 4x5 in the gym there is just not enough light. I shot most of the boxers as they worked out and the head trainer Khune Gai Sru Wit (Pong). I wish I had the 90mm Razzle camera now, it might work very well in this situation. Hopefully it will be at my home when I get back to Canada and I can bring it to the gym during my November Thai trip.

Lots of people are learning my name (today was my 4th day shooting day), I even have some of the boys calling me over to photograph them. I lost the use of my pen today so sort of screwed up my naming system but hopefully can catch up tomorrow, I need to pack a back pen. I had back up batteries, cables etc but no back pen. Its always something!

I asked Khune Pong how long Bon would not train for he told me that after the knockout they would not train for 1 week. I did not see Bo there either so after his fight loss by decision he must be taking a few days off as well, no doubt he is quite sore.

They did one thing quite interesting today. Khune Gop the lady who owns the shop across from the boxing ring (not sure what her exact connection to the gym is), came into the gym and starting spreading/sprinkling/flipping water around. She used some kind of plant leaf that she dipped in a water container then spread water droplets around the gym. I asked Khune Pong about it and he told me that the ritual is called "Naum Mon", it is a Buddhist ritual designed to purify the gym. I think it is also done because of the violent nature of Muay Thai, the ritual cleanses the negative spirits associated with Muay Thai.