Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Ugg! Had To Write An Artist Statement

Boy I hate writing artist statements, they always sound to me like a bunch of arty farty pompous nonsense. The Kaasa gallery requested it thou as all galleries do so I needed to write something up, this is the best I could come up with.

Artist Statement

In my portraiture I try to show the commonality in all of us, how we as human beings have a common connected humanity no matter our race, religion or culture. My photographs deal with the forgotten sections of our society, the creative goal of the work is to document these forgotten people and show the common characteristics we all share.

My influences include the great documentary/concerned photographers W. Eugene Smith, Donald McCullin and Sabastiao Salgado.

I have been involved in photography since I was 14 (am now 47), I work only with film cameras and process all the film and prints myself in a traditional wet darkroom.