Sunday, July 31, 2011

"People Project" How To Capture Common Humanity?

Been thinking of the ways I can photograph to capture the common humanity in people when I start making pictures in Thai next month.

I want to show how people are the same, how we have a common thread than binds us all. I have to do this visually, through expression, dress, gesture and attitude. I have to reach into the subject and see that commonality and draw it out on to the film/print.

From a technical aspect I want to keep it as simple as I can. Jock Sturges told me to use one camera and one lens and that's what I want to try to do as much as I can. If I can use Tri-x, a 4x5 Linhof with the 150mm Nikon lens for most if not all the portraits then that's great. Simplification of technique should allow me to concentrate 100% on the subject and just let the tech stuff flow naturally. The more I shoot the easier it should get and the better the pictures will be.

I have to reach deep and push myself to make the pictures I feel in my heart, I need to show the dignity, the vulnerability, the humanity of all my subjects, no matter their country, culture or religion.

The largeness of this project is all a bit daunting, its intimidating but I feel I can do it, I just have to work hard and push forward through all obsticles. Push yourself Gerry, work hard, do not give up, do not be afraid, devote yourself to these photographs, the end goal is what matters. Plus it will be FUN!

Maybe these photographs can someday be shown in Bangkok and in Phnom Penh, who knows it might help educate and promote understanding and harmony.

Ain't photography grand!