Friday, July 8, 2011

1st Box Set Completed.

Well finally finished the box set I hope to have on the gallery table next to the book/booklet of the other photographers. Putting this thing together took lots of man hours, its not perfect but it looks pretty good. I am not sure I want to make any more of these up thou! I will probably become faster at it in the future but this one was quite difficult to make. I am only asking $499.00 for it, not sure all the effort (lots of man hours) and expense (photo paper, archival box, matting etc) is worth doing for $499.

I wanted to display more of the sex worker photos at the show so these little versions of the prints will be seen by the opening night crowd, that is the main reason I went through the trouble of doing this thing. Here is the intro sheet I am including with the box.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gerry Yaum Documentary Photographer
Limited Edition Box Set # 1: “Thai Sex Worker”
Edition of 40 of boxes
7 - Archival Silver Gelatin Darkroom Prints
Image Size 5 x 6 1/4”
Matted and Presented in a Archival Fine Art Box
$499.00

1. Meow 28 Female Freelance Sex Worker, Thailand (2009)
2. Da 22 Male Freelance Sex Worker, Thailand (2009)
3. Natty 25 Ladyboy Shortime Bar Sex Worker, Thailand (2007)
4. Bla 21 Female Freelance Sex Worker, Thailand (2009)
5. Ti 27 Male Gogo Bar Sex Worker, Thailand (2007)
6. Apple 24 Ladyboy Shortime Bar Sex Worker, Thailand (2009)
7. Mat 24 Ladyboy Freelance Sex Worker, Thailand (2007)

These portraits were made on location in 2007-2009 with a large format 8x10 film camera. I photographed upwards of 50 workers from the bars and streets of Pattaya Thailand. Pattaya city has the largest red light district in Thailand and probably the world. There are thousands of sex workers in a variety of venues, gogo bars, beer bars, massage parlors, short time sex bars and freelance workers.

I originally started photographing sex workers in Thailand during my first trip to South East Asia in 1996, my goal has been to humanize the statistics, to put a human face to the ugly words, prostitute, hooker and whore. I wanted to learn about their lives and then document and remember these workers as the unique human beings they are, before they were used up, replaced and forgotten.

contact@gerryyaum.com www.gerryyaum.com www.gerryyaum.blogspot.com

Note: I sell my work to fund photographic projects; any moneys earned will go towards film, travel expenses and printing my next series of photographs “The People’s Project”.