Monday, July 18, 2011

Jobo A Fishy Solution

Had to do develop some 4x5 white background photos of Larry last night. Larry needed a portrait one for a British photography magazine story he is involved in. I decided to try something rather fishy to fix my Jobo heating element problem. I needed to heat up the water bath (this jobo has a working pump and motor but no working heating element) to 24C to develop the Tri-x 4x5. I placed a small fish tank heater on one side of the tank and waited several hours, the water heated up to 24C! I was able to develop the film over the next several hours.

When I was doing the final color RA-4 prints for the show I used another broken down Jobo for that. This machines heating and motor worked but not the pump. I put as much water as I could in the processor then heated it up to 35C (something I cannot do with the small fish heater in the other processor). I was able to make 3 large color prints using this processor, it worked out quite nicely.

There is a solution to every problem, sometimes you just need to calm down a bit and work through it.