Monday, January 31, 2022

Video Link: 8x10 Ambrotype Plate Clean

One of the advantages of glass Ambrotypes is you can clean off the collodion emulsion and reuse it, if the plate sucks. When I have added an albumen coating to the glass this part of the process (cleaning and reusing plates), gets way more difficult. I find that the G Collodion with no added ether is tender and susceptible to damage but it is also easy to clean when you screw up (which I do a lot of). When you add the albumen glass cover to a G Collodion plate it is much firmer. When I use a ether added collodion like QQC and albumen it is SUPER DUPER STICKY. that is great but the problem is cleaning the plate becomes more difficult.

Anyway, its all part of the learning process. I am trying to figure what will work best for the eventual 35x35 inch stuff. My guess is a ether added collodion, but will see, love the G stuff. Going to stick with G until I cannot.
 
The video is of a 8x10 plate with G Collodion with no Albumen coating on the glass.

 


8x10 Ambrotype Plate Clean