Saturday, January 15, 2022

New Gerry Collodion, And Blackened 8x10 Ambrotypes

Mixed up 1100ml of non ether added G Collodion. So far it is the only collodion that seems to be working for me. The others I have tried might have mostly failed, possibly because of mixing errors on my part (newby mistake).

Anyway, I have enough of GC to do some 16x20 plates tomorrow with the new 240mm enlarger lens set up. Going to photograph me a Pineapple. 🙂 Also plan to make some more 8x10 ambrotypes, which are easier to handle. Kind of like the multi exposure self heads I have been making, there fun to do.
 
Yesterday I did some blackening of some 8x10 clear glass ambrotypes from this week. I used to blackening methods, soft acrylic paint (sort of a rubbery back), quite nice feel to them and asphaltum mixed 2/1 with mineral spirits. Starting to like the traditional asphaltum more now. I can see why so many wet platers use the stuff. I ordered 2 gallons of asphaltum from the States. That should last me a while, give me a good feel for it.
 
1100ml of G Collodion
Double exposure portrait, 8x10 clear glass, double varnished, backed with Asphaltum.
Double head.
First double head, a bit small and a bit under exposed I think.
Coated plate, think this is the rubbery soft black acrylic.
4 plates, 2 soft black acrylic paint, 2 asphaltum mix. The plate on the bottom right is acrylic but it was not flowed properly, hence it is uneven.