Tuesday, January 11, 2022

Jackson Pollock One: Number 31, 1950

Was reading about this painting today, and about Pollock's work in general. Wondering if I can transfer that feel to wet plate. Having a discussion with a FaceBook friend about it. Here is that:


Jackson Pollock, One, Number 31, 1950

GY wrote

Was reading about Pollock this morning before sleeping. They wrote about how his painting, how the surface seemed alive. I found that ALIVE emotion idea, compelling. Wondering if I can transfer it to wet plate, to my future ambrotypes. Wet plate and painting is very different, but wondering if that emotion, that feeling of life, of something being alive can be told in ambrotypes (in the ambrotype and in the subject). I love the 3D feel of clear glass reversed ambrotypes, maybe life/living can be felt there. An emotion I want to try to get. 

Here is the Pollock book quote from THE HISTORY OF ART by J.W Janson "...the viscosity of the paint, the speed and direction of its impact upon the canvas, its interaction with other layers of pigment. The result is a surafce so alive, sensuously rich, that all earlier painting looks pallid in comparison."