Sunday, January 16, 2022

Social Doc Still Life Subject Matter?

I need to practise my wet plate technique, I want to photograph a series of 16x20 Ambrotype still life's, but what subjects should I choose to make pics of? My heart has always been in social doc type work. Could something of that nature could be done?

Today I remembered a series of "Artifacts" I have brought back to Canada from the dump in Mae Sot over the last several years. These items were intended to be part of an exhibition to be shown alongside the photographs for THE FAMILIES OF THE DUMP project. I have never used them, and they have been bagged away in my garage since I came back to Canada. I have brought back found items from the garbage dump 2 maybe 3 times, forget now.
 
Can they be used? Are they all safe to use? Moldy? Smelly? Foul? Filled with worms? Or can I dig them out of storage and put them on a pedestal and make beautiful maybe even poignant Ambrotypes from them? Got to find them first, that will be a chore. I will start looking.
Here is a blog story of a from 2019, with a pic of a Teddy Bear I brought back to Canada. I think the first collection might have been in 2013. Found garbage items from 2013, photographed in 2022? Should be interesting!
🙂