Thursday, June 27, 2019

"Mau-Baun-Mee-Boon, "Dog Home (House) of Good Karma

from Facebook...

Found a place to try and raise some money for. It is a home for stray dogs. Bangkok Thailand if home to thousands upon thousands of strays, many malnourished, no fur and diseased. This home helps forgotten dogs from the streets or dogs people do not want anymore the place is called "Mau-Baun-Mee-Boon which translates in English to "Dog Home (House) of Good Karma This small refuge for these forgotten-unloved animals houses 100 dogs and is run by a husband and wife team. (They have a new name for the dog rescue home now, not sure what that is, will find out).

I did a surprise visit of the place a few days back and found the dogs well cared for and loved. All the dogs seemed happy, and were very well fed and active. They had plenty of food-water and medical care as well as a large area to live in The dogs in the photos with cages or gated off areas were isolated for medical reasons or because they had been mistreated and needed special care. Many of the dogs that come to the home are in very poor condition, often having been beaten or were slowly starving to death.

I donated $1500 baht (around $70 CAD) and will return in a few days with several large bags of dog food. The husband and wife team are desperate for donations, they currently mix the dog food they have with rice to save money. There is a rice factor nearby where they can get discounted rice at a whole sale price. Will be posting more information in the coming days. Will try doing some dog portraits with the twin reflex camera on my return. Will also be posting more photos later.

Note* One of my donators from work told me I could spend her donated money any way I saw fit. She donated $300. I am using 1500 of that money for this dog shelter, plus will use some of her donated money to buy dog food in the coming days. The 1500 was added to the spent donation money total today.

Multiple dogs in open area. Some did not like me and barked at me whenever I stood up. Others like this small one on the table wanted me to pet her and tried to lick me. At the dog home there is a large open shade area (under the roof pictured). Many of the dogs hung out here, allowing them to keep out of the very hot midday sun. there were probably 35-40  dogs in this area. Each dog has a name known by the husband and wife care team. Am trying to learn some of those names for you. My fav name so far is "LION", a big tough, slightly savage looking male (he did not like me).
This dog was super friendly and wanted to be petted. They had her isolated because she was near starving, all bony when they first got her. She is fat and filled with love now
Same dog as earlier.
2 dogs int he isolation area.
Center dog has an eye infection. Did not go into this section of the home but will try to enter there next trip. These dogs were isolated from the main group.