Friday, June 28, 2019

A Letter To A Work Colleague

Hey J--...

Had a good day today, felt the need to share it. Got a $150 CAD donation from a good hearted Facebook friend for the dogs at the Thai shelter. I spoke to the husband and wife team who run the place, asked them what they needed. Will buy rice, dog food (a mix they make for the dogs as dog food alone is too expensive) as well as a special vaccine that protects the dogs from 6 kinds of the the most serious diseases. The shelter needs 73 of these vaccine units for their 100 dogs (they have 27 vaccines bought already). I should be able to buy around another 25-30 using the donation money depending on the cost per unit (100 to 150 baht per unit). They will still need another 40+ vaccine units but at least another 25-30 dogs will be protected.  Every little bit helps! Cannot help all the dogs with the vaccine but another 25-30 being protected is definitely a good thing.

Today there was also a $100 donation given for the "Families of the Dump" from a good photo club friend of mine. I will not be able to use that money until 2020 when I return to the dump. That money will be then used to buy more headlamps and boots etc. Will keep that $100 in the bank until I return.

I will be using part of the money ($300 CAD) S----- donated to help the dogs and also for some Karenni people refugees (Myanmar-Burmese refugees). S----- said I could use her donated money anyway I wanted, so figured this would be the best way to go. Do not know to much about these new people. I know that there are refugees of all kinds (orphaned children etc.) and that they are hard to reach, muddy roads that are far off the main track. They need foods of all types, clothing of any kind and things like female napkins for the younger girls. I guess the napkins are very expensive and not easily available to them.

Will divide the donation money up as best I can, follow the donators wishes and try to figure this all out, Might be doing more donations with this dog shelter and Karreni refugee group next trip, am unsure at present. I will see how it all shapes out. Trying to make the money and donations do as much good as they can do.

Will be doing these last donations over the next few days, then will head back to Bangkok before flying back to Canada and my job there with you at ----.

Anyway feeling great, hope all is good with you there as well.

It was a good day :) "Ain't Photography Grand!!!"

Gerry