Friday, June 7, 2019

Back In The Garbage

I went back to the garbage dump in Mae Sot today to spend time with the families. Got out on the street at about 615am stayed only a few hours at the dump as the light and heat got quite a bit worse, fast. After 8am things got very harsh.

 Some opening return to the dump thoughts:

- There seem to be less people living on the garbage and close to the dump. I could be wrong on this as I misjudged that last trip.
- Lots of smiles and hello's from the folks that know me, happened 6 or 7 times, in the small group of workers I saw.
- Got out a yell out of "Gerry" from a boy off in the distance at one point, and waves and wais from many folks.
- Many new people working the garbage, lots and lots of new people. Some were apprehensive about me, some of the older folks were telling them stories about me I think. Heard DAH BONG YAI several times which is Burmese for 'taking photos'.
- A Thai official (dump official?) told me not take photos of the working. He sort of yelled t out to me from a distance in an angry way.  I saw him earl coming at me and tried to avoid him. This is sort of normal, happened probably 5 times last trip maybe more. I will try to avoid the official types. This trip I will probably be spending more time in the home areas of the families and less on the garbage where the working is done. There is no issue photographing people at home. Many family members now know me here, the trust me. It is quite easy to get photo access with my friends. Most everyone on the Burmese side is friendly, the Westerners and Thai officials can be a problem thou. Westerners in this area do not like you en crouching on their turf, they often see you as a threat and Thai officials like to hide the reality of the dump and the lives of the families from the world (makes Thailand look bad).
- Bought and handed out a few mama noodles and candies, but not much. No one came up and asked me for anything That will probably happen tonight when i return tonight and when word has spread that I am back.
- Will go buy headlamps tonight for the first time this afteroon, probably will pick up 20 or so to start. Will take some with me when I return to the garbage tonight. I am expecting rain, have a nice rain jacket to wear. Will probably be buying a bunch for the families in the next while.
- The people looked more tired and more warn down today,  the dump seemed smaller. The Win family father looked a bit weaker, older. Am a bit worried for him. He gave me a huge smile and hello (MING GAH LAU BAU) on seeing me.
- Rented a motorbike and got a nice hotel room. A place I can chill and recoup after being outside in the heat and filth. I am finding these trips more and more physically and mentally difficult as I age.
- Forgot the batteries for my Canon 5D today so only shot film, in the Rollie and in the Lieca 35s.
- TONS OF FLIES (thousands crawling over everything) in the garbage, even learned the Burmese word for Fly (JING GOH)

Much more to come.