Monday, May 8, 2023

Bike Cargo Trailer

The bike cargo trailer build us almost done. I still need to add a floor of some kind. The thing is huge!! Probably too big. The 1-inch square alimony tube lengths were 96 inches long, so I just cut those in half.

I can make the trailer narrower later if needed (probably will). I used the WIKE bike cargo trailer kit to build it. The trailer measure 51 inches by 48 inches and is rated to carry up to 125 lbs. I might also just order another kit and build a second smaller trailer. I can then use both trailers according to need.

The idea is to use this gizmo to haul my large heavy 35x35 plates to the camera from the darkroom trailer. I would also like to use it to haul my 20x24 camera and tripod to farther off shooting locations. I hope I do not over burden my electric bike.

It all sounds a bit lazy, but I am trying to figure ways to reduce the workload for the project as I age. I might be making 20 35x35 inch glass Ambrotype plates a day to get, 1 or 2 good ones. 20 plates works out to carrying the heavy, loaded, super holders 40 times. When I am 65 plus that might be a tall order!

Note* I think the super large cart needs to remain the size it is now. The 35x35 holder and its frame holder only allows for about 6 extra inches of room. Meaning I will have about 3 inches on each side of the holder when it is placed flat in the trailer, not a lot! The trailer actually needs to be that big!