Monday, February 22, 2016

Photo Idea: 14x17 Blurred Portraits

Been thinking over the last few days of a unique type of portrait I can make with my ULF Chamonix camera. A vertical tight portrait of faces with blur on 14x17 film (possibly X-ray).

The idea is I would focus in tight on the face, then expose in available light at maybe F9 (with the 450mm Nikkor f9) and have a 1-4 second exposure. During that long shutter speed the subject would inevitably move somewhat creating the effect I want. I might have to purchase a second 16x20 bellows and end up with a bellows factor of 3 or 4 stops but I think this can be done.

When I was doing the "My Fathers Last Days" series of dad I often would incorporate movement in the 35mm exposures, sometimes the camera shook, sometimes dad moved. I love the look of those portraits, the look in his eyes. This technique seemed to tell a better story of what my father was going through than a sharp more static image would. I would try to get that same feel with this new photo idea, everything would just be magnified to ULF inch film.

Having a large 14x17 negative that I could then contact print on fibre silver gelatin or in an alternative process like platinum could create a powerful feeling/looking portrait.

Note* Wonder if I could take such a major camera setup to Asia? If I could do the white background stuff with studio, lights etc I am sure I could manage this, it would be a major undertaking. Lets first see if I can get this working the way I want in Canada. Can try some tests of my photo group friends later this year.