Thursday, February 25, 2016

More On The Blurred Photo Idea

Found this photo today while looking through dads scanned negs. This pic was made with a 35mm fairly early in dads last year with us. I am making up a 2nd submission for the AGSA (Art Gallery of Saint Albert). Hopefully this submission "My Fathers Last Days" or "Forgotten Laughter" will get in to the gallery.

The neg is only slightly blurred, more blur would probably add to the isolated, confused feel. Maybe if I show this in a gallery series I can add a second later more blurred portrait of similar style to show the illnesses progression and dads feelings later on. My father was so open to be photographed, one of his last gifts to me.

This is the type of portrait I was referring to in the earlier post about how I might use my 16x20 Chamonix camera. I could shoot X-ray 14x17 or Adox 16x20 and do tight face portraits. I would probably need a second bellows to focus this closely.

I pumped the contrast a lot in photoshop to create a harsher effect, would probably darkroom print it the same way with a filter #5 in the Durst with a condenser head, cold tone fibre paper and straight Dectol for max contrast.

Note* Do not have my Chamonix yet but already wish I would have bought it earlier so I could have photographed dad with it.

Blurred dad 35mm, early 2014