Thursday, February 18, 2016

I Bought A 16x20 Chamonix Camera!!

Well I finally took the step into Ultra Large Format (ULF)! I bought a new 16x20 Chamonix from the Chamonix company in Shanghai through their representative in the USA, Hugo. How did this happen? It is a long story.

There is currently a used older model 16x20 on eBay for sale. The used version peaked my interest and then I started to ask the online eBay seller (Hong Kong camera store) and Hugo (new Chamonix seller) questions. Eventually after lots of on haggling and me playing one seller against the other (and them playing me somewhat!), I was able to get a nice  $700 discount from Hugo allowing me to buy the brand new version camera. I almost never buy new photo equipment so this is a bit different for me. I paid $5615 USD, plus $450 USD for shipping. The Canadian dollar is not very strong right now, so not sure this was a smart smart deal on my part, but the discounts $500 then $200 and the opportunity to jump right into ULF photography, contact and platinum printing was too much to pass up. I always dreamed of going ULF, now I finally have. I still might be be satisfied and buy a 20x24 someday.

I am planning to get 2 reducing backs for this Chamonix 16x20 camera, possibly more. One back will be a 16x20-->11x14, the second a 16x20-->14x17 (to possibly use cheap X-ray film). I am also considering 8x20 and or 12x20 backs. If I get all 4 backs I will have the ability to do 11x14, 14x17, 8x20, 12x12 and 16x20 with one camera body. I will also be able to do large wet plate work as Chamonix also makes a variety of wet plate back sizes that will fit the 16x20. The possibilities are endless, this camera has a exciting ton of possibilities. I will also buy their Sinar adaptor board, which allows standard and cheap Sinar lens boards to be used with this cameras 10 inch lens board front standard.

Am a bit stunned by all of this, happy but stunned. Now for the next trick, anyone can buy gear, no skills there. What I need to do is make this a worthy purchase. I need to do honour to my subjects, the camera, the lens, the film. I need to make important photographs!!

Note* The camera weighs 34lbs minus the lens, holders, tripod, meter etc.
http://www.chamonixviewcamera.com/

Here are the details on my new Chamonix 16x20 camera, along with photos.



16X20 specifications 
AccessoriesFilm Holders
Bellow Maximum  1050mm 
Minimum 210mm
 movement FrontRise : 158mm
Fall  : 94mm
Tilt  : limited by bellow
shift : 52mm to each side
swing: limited by bellow
 Rearshift  : none
swing : 10 degree to each side
Tilt    : 25 degree backwards, forwards limited by bellow
 weight Sapele and carbon fiber: 33.95 pound/15.40 kg
 Dark Walnut: not available