Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Avedon Portrait

Tonight am re watching the film "Capote" tonight, about the creation of the book "In Cold Blood by Truman Capote. In the movie they have a sequence with Richard Avedon photographing  the Clutter family killers. I have always loved the haunting portrait Avedon did of Richard Eugne Hickock.

Here it is:
 San Franciso Museum Of Modern Art, Photo Story

Richard Eugene Hickock, Kansas 1960 by Richard Avedon
I think the portraits visual effect probably minus the white background would work well for the "Lost Innocence" project. I might start to make a few photos for this series next trip. I have been haunted by this idea for a long time, it keeps coming back to mind over and over again. I keep seeing the faces of the workers in my mind, that look in their eyes, sad, pleading, destroyed, drugged.

I need to try to take some photos soon. Making pics will help satisfy my need to create and will start me down the path to telling this important story. I want the image viewer to see the eyes of the worker, and feel what they feel. So far this work is just in my mind, just thoughts and feelings, I need to start to put something down on film, very soon.

Note* "Lost Innocence" is portrait series of the workers in the brothels and bars of Southeast Asia.