Thursday, March 15, 2012

Swinging In My Hammock Above The River Oo

I had a very nice 2 hours swinging in my hammock above the River Oo, reading a book about Cambodia and relaxing. Far below from where I was perched (in my guesthouse at Muang Noi Laos) I watched as children played, people bathed (dressed or partially dressed), dogs ran about and roosters crowed. The fishermen would come back in their little boats at mid afternoon with their catch, at the first approach they would use their load roaring engines before shutting down and silently drifting the last 30 feet or so to the sandy, muddy bank.

At 1230 am I saw a large bus boat motor in loaded down with the latest 18 backpackers from Nong Kiaw. The backpackers come from a variety of country's within a short time I would hear English, German, Chinese, Spanish Japanese, French, Polish and Russian (especially English and French).

But back to my little hammock, there is something beautifully peaceful about a hammock, I am sure I will miss that quiet reading time later on when I am back in Canada. I will miss the wonderful view, I will miss watching that different world and I will miss the soft relaxing feeling of just hanging there floating and at peace.