Thursday, March 15, 2012

A Quick Snack, Deep Fried Frogs!

On my last full day in Muang Noi I went to photograph Purb's family again (only had 10 sheets of film wish I had more). I did the family pictures in an open leafy area not far from their house, the area was surrounded and shaded by beautiful Teak trees.

As I made the portraits most of the rest of the family sat around watching me. I have gotten used to having 5, 10 or even 15 people watching my photo sessions, the view camera and tripod tends to attract a crowd. When I took a break I walked over to where the family was and the mother of the home (Purb's Mom) told her grandson to give me something he came back with a little tomato and gave it to me. I tasted it and it was very sour, I made a face as I ate it and everyone laughed or smiled (Purb's wife, mother, and 3 children were there there along with his younger sister). After the tomato the mother said something else and the little boy went away and then came back with a little fried frog for me to eat, it was the whole frog complete with head and eyes, it was small, oily looking and shriveled up blackish thing. I did not really want to eat it, I was worried about how it would affect my already problematic stomach issues, the area was also not sanitary, the boys hands, face were dirty etc. I thought thou it would be impolite to not eat the food, I looked at everyone watching me and waiting for me to try the frog, they all had expectant eyes, especially Purb's wife who was watching me closely. I decided it was best to be polite and give it a try, I chomped down on one of the little legs and it actually tasted pretty good, like very deep fried meat. I ate the second leg and then the body of the little frog up to the head and told them it was very good. The mother then to my surprise said something else and the boy came back with 2 much larger fried frogs! These were much more oily and less delicious looking (bigger head and frog eyes than the first little guy, always had a thing against eating food that could look at me!), I thanked them and took the frogs and placed them in my vest pocket for later (did not eat them but did make photographs which I will put on the blog later).

How come the poorest of the poor are often the most gracious hosts? The kindest people seem to me to often be also the poorest. I have often received food, drinks and friendship from poor people all over Asia (Cambodia, Thailand, Laos, Inner Mongolia), its part of the tradition of the various cultures to be hospitable but it also speaks to the natural goodness, the true kindness of the individuals.

Here are a few digi shots of the fried frogs I promised, the one I ate is on top (ate the body but not the head!).




(this story reminds me of my chicken foot story from a few years back, check out the link)

http://gerryyaum.blogspot.com/2009/07/chicken-foot-email.html