Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Farmer Portraits

At work tonight I am thinking about what portrait subjects I want to shoot this coming 5 week trip to Thailand. I want to continue making the Muay Thai boxer portraits, this time with the razzle rangefinder cameras, which will add fluidity to the images (and hopefully better exposures). I also want to work on a new subject, farmers, people working in the fields and around the farm.

August Sander's Farmer Sowing

Thailand's main export is rice, I am not sure where in the planting cycle they are and with the current flooding there might be entire fields under water but I hope I can make portraits of farmers this trip. I shot Waew's farmer father back in 2010 and I need to get back to those type of portraits this trip.

August Sander's, Young Farmers on Their Way to a Dance

 Sebastiao Salgado showed the decency, the nobility of manual labour in his book "Workers". I want to make portraits of the Thai farmers in the same light as Salgado did. I need to show the harshness, the difficulties of the farmer life and also their individual beauty and nobility.

Salgado's Book "Workers"