Thursday, June 11, 2020

What My Final KANATA Dream Prints, MIGHT!! Look Like

Here are some thoughts on a basically unachievable dream.

Been thinking a lot lately about the possible final look of my KANATA project photographs. Originally, years back, I was planning simply to make tintypes but that quickly changed to clear glass ambrotypes. I later also added large 20x24 film images. My latest plans have evolved to include wet plate collodion negatives to the mix.

Currently (subject to my changing whims) I am thinking of doing the following with KANATA. This is what I hope to eventually exhibit in major galleries across Canada.

- Ambrotypes on clear glass in sizes, 4x5, 5x7, 8x10, 16x20, 20x24, 27x 35 and 35x35. I would reverse the glass of the ambrotype (so everything is right way forward) then paint the glass with Asphaltum (gives a blackish background to the ambrotype).

- 8x10, 16x20 and 20x24 film photographs, later printed as silver gelatin contact prints or platinum palladium prints.

- Wet plate collodion negatives in 4x5, 5x7, 8x10, 16x20, 20x24, 27x35 and 35x35 sizes. these GLASS negs would later be contact printed in various forms. I am thinking more and more of doing CARBON TRANSFER PRINTS on both paper and glass.

As you can see lots of variables, lots of options. Heck none of this might happen but am currently planning to proceed as above. Most likely my eventual image choices will be refined and changed with time. After all I have never made a wet plate negative in my life, or a carbon tranfer print :)!

My dreams are filled with so many possiblities. In my minds eye, I can see the final images hanging in the National Gallery of Canada. 50 huge 27x35 landscapes and portraits of Canada. Beautiful carbaon transfer prints mounted on glass, images that are made from wet plate collodion negatives! ITS GOING TO BE FUCKING AMAZING!!

"Ain't Photography Grand!!"

Note* KANATA is a 10-15 year cross Canada photography project which speaks to WHAT IS CANADA? I hope to photograph the good, bad, beautiful and ugly of the Canada as a country.