Thursday, June 11, 2020

Wet Plate Holder For Deardorff

Years back when I started my wet plate photography dreams I purchased a 8x10 wet plate back for my 8x10 Deardorff. The seller missed doing a small straight cut on the back of the holder so I could never mount this thing to my camera.

Since I am on the road now to learning wet plate, I thought it was a good time to get this little unit into service. I brought the camera and holder to work tonight to see if I could make the cut and mount the holder to the back of the Deardorff.

This 8x10 Deardorff has a special meaning for me, it is a gift from my father. I hope to use his Deardorff to make some important KANATA ambrotypes and negatives. Every time I see the camera I think of dad, having it out in the field with me across Canada is comforting.

I have a variety of plastic format size inserts for this holder. I will probably be doing 8x10 size most often.

Note* Way back when I thought of naming my 8x10 Deardorff "Eddie" as a tribute to dad (his nickname). I think I will go back to that now. I hope "Eddie" and I can make some great photos together.

Note** I might give 8x10 wet plate (tintype) a try next week off. I am jumping forward a bit, but kind of getting bored with 4x5 tintypes. Also want to try to do ambrotypes as soon as I can. I will hold off on that for a while yet, as there are many more complications when moving to glass.

Note*** Just measured the 2 extra plastic format size inserts I got with this wet plate holder. They measure 7x7 inches and 8.5x 8.5 inches. I have always like square format photos, there is a Zen like quality to them. With this one holder I can now make 7x7, 8.5x8.5 and 8x10 tintypes and ambrotypes. BONUS!!!

Dads Deardorff "Eddie" And New Holder

Deardorff, holder. Black mark, marks the cutting spot