Saturday, June 6, 2020

3rd Wet Plate Attempt

Tonight was night 3 of my wet plate collodion adventure. The collodion seemed more fragile , not sure why. Sometimes small pieces would come off the plate when I poured on the developer or used water to stop development. Possibly because I was being too aggressive or using too much fluid volume on the collodion.

On walk last night I found a dead crow. The bird was gutted and eaten up, with a detached wing and only 1 foot. When I set it up for pics I found an added attraction, MAGGOTS, they kept on leaving the body and crawling across the table between plates!
This dead animal theme might be a continuing subject for KANATA ((cross country Canada wet plate project) so tonight’s efforts were instructional. Bringing some beauty back to, and remembering a fallen little crow seems important some how. Important In a small way. I am glad I photographed my crow tonight.

This dead animal theme might be a continuing subject for KANATA ((cross country Canada wet plate project) so tonight’s efforts were instructional. Bringing some beauty back to, and remembering a fallen little crow seems important some how. Important In a small way. I am glad I photographed my crow tonight.

Note* Tonight's goof was loosing my 4x5 plate in the silver bath! Boy am I a clumsy dude!

Note** Just posted the varnished 4x5s. I improved a bit in the varnishing but still some work there. I think there is some veiling on these, possibly from developing to long (correct?). Think it is a small step in the right direction. Froze the Crow and its separate wing (not photographed last night). Will try to shoot it again later when I am doing ambrotypes and negatives. Would like to do an 8x10 wet plate neg on this and then try to do a Carbon Transfer Print on Glass (also a new process). Am currently thinking of not only doing Ambrotypes for KANATA but also negs (film and wet plate) to later do Carbon Transfer prints. Am filtering the Silver Bath now, it kind of looks dirty.

Note*** Thanks Jonathan. As mentioned earlier this might do a running series on animals in the future, road kills of deer etc, whatever I can find on the journeys. I like the idea of keeping a piece of these poor creatures alive (in away), recorded, before they are gone forever.

- Graflex Camera
- 4x5 Tintype
- Speedodron 4800W flash
- Quinn Quick Clear Collodion
- Vinegar developer

Various 4x5 tintype crow photos
Set up for the crow photos