Monday, June 22, 2020

Darkroom Workshop And Wet Plate In Trailer!!

A good day. First I taught a darkroom workshop. Then I went outside to the darkroom trailer and did the specific gravity on my 2 silver baths. After getting the baths done I did up 10 or 4x5 tintypes. I used both Poe Boy and Quinn quick clear collodion. This is the first time I did wet plate in the trailer and the first time I did wet plate in outdoor available light!!!!!!

WHAT A JOY IT WAS, I LOVED EVERY SECOND!!

Note* I need to do a better job teaching my darkroom workshops, today I feel I failed. I need to slow things down and explain things better, be more patient.

Note** The Poe Boy collodion is much slower than Quinn Quick Clear. I was doing exposures of around 2 minutes 30 seconds with PB and using the same gear exposures of 2-6 seconds with QQC. Very different speeds, not sure why. The Poe Boy created nice images thou, I kind of like it. With that super slow speed I am not sure it can work in the field. I wonder if I invent my own type of Collodion. Thinking of Poe Boys alcohol mix along with Quinn Quick Clear salts (Cadmium Bromide, and Ammonium Iodide instead of Potassium Bromide and Potassium Iodide). Someone probably invented-tried that already, still might be worth a go.
Note** Also checked the specific gravity (using my new hydrometer) of my 2 silver baths and added Silver Nitrate AgNO3 and distilled water as needed. It all worked well.

Today's learning-work