Wednesday, June 10, 2020

Ethyl Ether, Sodium Thiosulfate, Potassium Dichromate Buy, From Prolab Scientific Inc.

Did a bigger buy of 2 chemicals I need for my wet plate work and 1 for the new Planned Carbon Transfer work. I found a company out of Quebec selling the Ether, will give them a try. Their 1000 ml cans at $92.45 CAD are a quite a bit cheaper than my original source for Ethyl Ether, $75 CAD for 500 ml cans.

- Ethyl Ether, 1000 ml containers x 3 = $274.80 CAD - Used in wet plate photography

- Sodium Thiosulfate (Hypo) 2.5 kg x 3 for $166.80 CAD - Used in wet plate photography

- Potassium Dichromate - 500 grams for $92.45. CAD - Used in Carbon Transfer Print making

Total with taxes, shipping and a $40 dangerous good fields = $647.33 CAD


I will also need to buy some  Collodion USP non flexible 4-5% solution in the next while. I can find only 1 Canadian source for this chemical. That source is currently out of stock. I might have to order out of Bostick and Sullivan in the States, not sure how much the extra border charges will be. One  advantage buying there is that B&S sells 4 liter sized cans. If I buy 2 of those large cans, I will have collodion for a long time. During my planned longer trips and photo journeys across Canada I will need a ton of ether and collodion, assuming I go with a ether based collodion. 35x35 inch plates will eat that stuff up!

Here is the Canadian company I ordered from today. These dangerous goods are only shipped within Canada.

https://prolabscientific.com/

Note* I bought the Ether in 1000 ml cans so that I could mix up iodizer for my collodion direct from the can, using 1 can at a time. The danger from Ether comes when you open the can and reseal it. If you use it all at one time and make an iodizer (a mixture of Ether, Alcohol and salts) you neutralize the Ethyl Ether making it safe.