Friday, June 19, 2020

Possible Artificial Light For Sunning Silver

Got a "Daylight 10000 Classic" light source for $25 from Goodwill.

I have been looking for a light source to SUN my wet plate silver nitrate bath. Sunning exposes the silver bath to UV light which is part of a cleaning process, part of maintaining a healthy bath. After sunning little black particles (organic material in the bath) are formed and drop to the bottom of the glass container, which you then can filter out of your bath.

You can of course SUN  silver in the actual sun or under cloudy skies (there is still UV light on cloudy days). But I also wanted the option of sunning the silver on rainy days and at. night. Being a night guard I am sort of a night owl on my days off, so having the ability to sun the silver inside the darkroom trailer at night as I do other things in the trailer and house, is a real bonus. An artificial light source will allow more flexibility. It will also be good to have later on when I am on the road doing KANATA (cross Canada long term photo project). If I have a power source, I can sun all night in the trailer while sleeping in my RV, then wake up early in the morning and filter my silver for same day use.

Will this $25 CAD unit a try to see if it works, if not, will use the unit as a light table.


Daylight 10000 Classic