Saturday, April 7, 2018

Burtynsky Photo Book Submission Grant Attempt Number 2

Yesterday I made my second attempt at the Burtynsky photography book publishing grant. The Scotiabank Burtynsky grant jury gives out $5000 CAD annually ( at least for 3 more  years) to one lucky photographer who can then use the money to help in the publishing of their photography book. Maybe this time I will be lucky enough to win the grant, which would pay for a portion of a FAMILIES OF THE DUMP photo book. Last year I failed with b/w photos from the dump, this time it is a colour photograph submission from the dump.

If I did get a book published I could use it to help raise funds for the families. The book could be used at the 2019 CONTACT photography festival exhibition fundraiser as well as at future fundraisers. With a  $50 or $100 donation to the families you get a free book, that sorta thing. The books could also be sold individually with proceeds going to the dump families.

The Burtynsky grant submission process requirements asks for a minimum 10 dummy layout pages, I submitted 31. My submission is based more on the quality of the photographs versus a super duper arty farty book layout. The eventual book might include these photographs, or there might be changes. I expect the final book would have a total of 50 layout pages including 100 photographs

Update* The grant attempt failed. I wish I could get these images and book into book form. If I could, I could then use all money earned (is money earned on photo books?), to help the families.