Monday, July 28, 2014

The Joys Of Printing

I finally got back into the darkroom last night for a short 7 hour printing session. I have been having trouble getting back into the dark even thou I have dozens of negs I would like to work on, heck I probably have over 100 negs that need to be printed. All I can think of thou is dad so it just did not seem right to print. I solved that problem last night by printing one of the photos I took recently of my father.

Dad in bed, July 2014
After 7 hours in the dark I managed to do up a OK print but I think I can draw more out of this important negative. This exposure was an attempt to tell the story of dads life with cancer, how it has affected everything he enjoys in life. Dad told me "It has taken everything away from me." I wanted to show his vulnerability, despair and weakness. The pic was made with a 21mm, Leica M6 and Tri-x at 800 ASA. I feel because I am shooting only one film I am really starting to learn it now.

I need to continue working on the neg, trying some different photo papers and maybe add a 3rd burning mask. Today I used 2 masks plus some dodging and burning at different filters along with bleaching. I will wash then dry the prints and tone them in the coming days. The next time I print I will try a colder tone paper, and maybe more contrast. I might also play around a bit with the developer.

I am not sure how photogs can either get others to do their printing for them or do it digitally, the darkroom is such an essential part of the process for me. Tonight when when I was printing I was agitating and caressing the print of dad as it sat in the developer tray. I was trying to coax it to life, it all seemed so hands on, so personal. Some how to me getting others to do it for you or doing it on an computer just seems so wrong, so limiting, so lacking.

I always get told by those around me to take the easy why, to do things the fast way by using digital cameras and processes. Then I have a session like last night that is so beautiful, so pure that it puts all my doubts to rest. I know I am on the right path doing things in the traditional way with film and I will continue down this path for the rest of my life.

I was happy, very happy to spend 7 hours with my father tonight.I will get back into the dark and continue working on this neg as soon as I can. I want to show the matted fine print to dad.

Update* I quite like the dried down version of this print before toning. It is a warm tone image and  has more tonality and less contrast than the scan.The 11x14 print also seems sharper than my digi copy. Leica sure does make some wonderful glass, even stuff stuff shot near wide open and with slow shutters can produces great negs.