Tuesday, July 29, 2014

A Tear In Dads Eye

I showed dad the print I  made of him a few days ago. Dad had a tear in his eye when he saw it. It made him sad to see how much weight he had lost. Dad has always felt proud that he looked at least 10 maybe even 20 years younger than his true age but now because of his illness age has caught up with him. After dad wiped away the tear he told me it was good that I made the picture and that it was important, he told me to write the date on it so mom could keep it and remember him. I told him I would try to submit it to some galleries, which I will. I will also submit it along with some other dad photos to the Alberta Foundation for the Arts folks next year. The photos are probably to dark to be accepted by the acquisition jury but I want to give it a try anyway.

The honest way dad has allowed me to photograph him is a tribute to his courage and love, he is allowing his son to cope with his death the only way he knows how by doing it photographically.