Friday, March 21, 2014

Some Fan Mail From A Nice Dedicated Photographer

Got a nice email today from a photographer in England. The email kind of cheered me up after another day of visiting the hospital, and working on a slideshow tribute video for my dad which will be played at his funeral (will post on the blog later for you all to see).

Here is the email minus the photographers name and links (for her privacy), plus my response.


Hello Gerry,

         I am … ... and i am a photographer from Manchester, United Kingdom. 
Currently, i am working on a project based around the Manchester drag scene, getting each 'queen' to turn me into them using their make-up techniques and clothing the results have been astounding! My work focuses on gender expectations and the social interpretation of gender and difference, especially as i am a biological woman dressed as a female impersonator. 

I am travelling to Thailand on 21st May and although i have been before, i would like this trip to focus on the lady boys and the sex tourism in Thailand, i hope to as you did- raise awareness about their living conditions by documenting this. I also hope to make them feel special and part of something other than the sex trade. 

I truly admire your work and follow your Youtube and blog regularly. I was in hope you could tell me how you went about meeting the people you photographed and planning. I know it may be a bit of a long shot but, i hoped to go there with some plans of who i would be meeting etc.
I would be extremely appreciative of any information and help you could give me, whether that be via email or even a Skype chat, if you have the time. 

Please see below for a link of a video promoting my current project and my website. (Although the current images are not on there as of yet.)

I am sending my condolences to you are your Father during this hard time.

Best Wishes, 
………..


……. your project sounds exciting. I have been going to Thailand since 1996 something like 13 trips, some were extended stays in the country (1 year). I have also studied the Thai language for years and most of my photo sessions were done in Thai. I think thou even a relative newbie (1 previous trip?) to the country with limited language skills should be able to do some good work. I would be happy to help you in anyway I can. We can do both email and Skype if you would like, right now email might be better as my father is terminally ill (as you know) so I am spending as much time with him as I can. I posted your email on my blog minus your name-links…hope thats OK…

Any questions you have please feel free to ask. Seems to me your on the right track already. Treat the people with respect and kindness and your most likely to get that back in return, you might also have a bit of an easier time with the ladyboy workers being a women, it will be interesting to see how that goes. At first I was a bit uncomfortable in that world but now its second nature filled with some great people. 

Thanks Gerry