Monday, March 10, 2014

11x14 Enlarged Contacts Continue

I am making up 11x14 contacts on all my November trip films, I will follow that with the May trip films. The only time I am not making a contact is when I obviously screwed up a film and produced nothing of consequence. I am finding these 11x14 enlarged contacts a great learning and editing tool. I can see everything up close and with a fair amount of detail by just using a hand held magnifying glass. If I need to seem minute detail I can use one of my close up loupes. The biggest advantages are that you can see the flow of the shooting and that you do not accidentally miss a neg, which can happen with the Fotovix or with scanned files.

I might even use some of these enlarged contacts in my next show, when and if that happens! When I was in New Orleans I saw a Gordon Parks exhibit than included large contacts, it was very effective. You could show the enlarged edited contact sheet (lots of squiggly lines, selections) and the finished print beside it, each in their own frame.